Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dolomite Weekend

This weekends adventure was to the Italian Alps. We took a train to a little town called Bolzano on Friday after Ted got off work, and spent the night there. Saturday morning we got up and strolled through the city. What a little gem!!! It’s an old looking little town, with narrow streets, but then as your stroll the streets you notice all the shopping is SUPER high end! In this town Monday-Saturday is a farmers market, with little stands for fruit and veggies and cheese and meat. Oh my it’s wonderful! We stocked up on some fresh bread and some cheese for lunch on our hike. We then took a bus to Alpe di Siusi, where we began our adventure. In Alpe di Siusi there is an aerial tram that takes you to another little village at the base of the Dolomites. [I will admit that I enjoyed the tram on the way down far more than on the way up. I was way to anxious about what Ted had gotten me into, and honestly really didn’t care much about the view.] This is where we began our hike. The beginning of the hike goes through this amazing little meadow with rolling hills. We decided to stop here and have lunch. It was amazing to look over this meadow and enjoy fresh bread and cheese. I then got a good view of where we were hiking, and saw the trail weaving its way up the mountain and got a little nervous. We started our assent. I’m going to cut this short and say it was the hardest physical thing I have ever done. There was nothing gradual about the climb. It was narrow, and rocky and steep as hell. I was praising heaven at the top, because if that hadn’t been the top, I’m not sure what I would have done. And if I already didn’t feel like I was out of shape or something, there were, no joke, 5 and 6 years olds hiking along, even passing me at some points. Not to mention the dogs, and not just labs, and German shepherds! Pomeranians, and a West highland Terrier!! But the top was amazing, actually more than amazing. There really is not a word that is grand enough to describe what I saw. It was like a postcard you are sure is photo shopped with brighter colors, and added peaks. We stayed the night at Refugio Bolzano. It’s a hut that serves hot food, and drinks, and has bunks and running water. It is definitely my idea of camping! We got up early the next morning and climbed down. I really am not sure which I dislike more, the climbing up or the climbing down. Thank God the view was amazing! All along our hike, even on the sheerest hillside there were cows. The kind of cows with cowbells on! It was so cool. At the top all around the Refugio were cows. Lots of cows, all their bells sounded like wind chimes. It was so peaceful. It was an amazing weekend. It was so worth the pain. We explored some of God’s finest creations. It is a sight I may never see again in my life, one many people don’t even know is there. It is one of those places in this world that God has tucked neatly away, as though protecting it. It holds such immeasurable beauty, unlike anything you could ever imagine. At the peak there was a huge iron cross that was erected in 1934, it’s very fitting.
Bolzano's Church
Where we got our lunch, the bread and cheese shop!

Aerial tram
The view from our lunch spot
Our lunch
Our lunch spot

Really? This little dog was flying, he was having so much fun!
Such a cute baby cow!



Our bunks
The beautiful cross at the top

No comments: