Friday, August 13, 2010

Everyday happenings.

Adjusting life here has been pretty interesting. A couple funny things happened so far.

- For everyone that knows me, I like my flat iron. Actually, I LOVE my flat iron. And my ceramic hair dryer. We had a power converter, so I brought both with me. I blew dry my hair fine, then plugged in my flat iron turned it on like normal. Went to straighten a section underneath and FRIED it, I mean FRIED! Crispy, smelling, smoking, gross. Then a few seconds later all the lights in the apt went out, and the power converter started smoking!! Great. I had to find the fuse box, which is obviously all in Italian, and play with switches until I found one that works. Now by that time I had tried to turn on ALL the lights in the place, and didn't turn the switches back off. So when I found the right fuse, every light in the place came on. It was like the heavens opened up. And in case you are wondering, my flat iron works fine without the converter, and there is a hair dryer in the apt. Its not as good as mine, but it
works. Phew!

- Try doing laundry with a washer/dryer in one, that is all in Italian. Actually first, try buying laundry soap that is all in Italian. And man Italians like them some detergent. There is detergent for jeans, blacks, whites, colors, delicates, prewash, and fabric softener. Actually there were probably more, but I couldn't read them. Dear god I just want to wash my t-shirts!!!! Thank god for google! I googles "how to use an italian washing machine" and a website with instructions popped up. A miracle!! It takes forever to get things to dry, but hey its a washer/dryer, its free, and it eventually works!

- I was walking through the grocery store the other day and James Taylor was singing "Mexico" to me. So amazing.

- Made dinner the other night with fresh dried pasta, and the most amazing parmesan cheese I have ever had.



- At this amazing little market I found, this is how they package my groceries.
- Its been a rainy few days here in Italy!




1 comment:

My Little Clan said...

oh my goodness! just found you blog and I am loving your pics from Italy!! Have an amazing time and keep the pictures coming... I'll check back to see more of Italy ;)
And how about those groceries? Good thing your weren't in a hurry! LOL